Nice posting of all the salmon coming along the coast during the Fall. For "close in" fishing I have caught fish not too far from the Cornet Bay (Deception Pass State Park) boat launch to south of Ali Spit. But I think, if you are fishing for chum salmon (we used to call them dog salmon) I recommend a rod of at least 7 wt. I remember fishing with John Freeman at Ali Spit when a large (mid teen maybe?) chum took the fly and started heading back for Hoypus Pt. I kept adding pressure and the fish kept swimming north. The line went out through the guides, then the backing went with the line, and I seemed to realize I could not add any more pressure to the 7 wt. rod. It did not take long for a separation to happen. It was at the connection of the fly line and the backing.
My suggestion is to make sure the connection of the fly line and backing is secure and will withstand a Chum Salmon heading north (maybe) back to Deception Pass thinking "maybe this spawning idea is a sham"!
I've often wondered, with the tides, the Pass on the West and the River to the east, where did that fly line end up? Danny
From Danny Beatty:
Nice posting of all the salmon coming along the coast during the Fall. For "close in" fishing I have caught fish not too far from the Cornet Bay (Deception Pass State Park) boat launch to south of Ali Spit. But I think, if you are fishing for chum salmon (we used to call them dog salmon) I recommend a rod of at least 7 wt. I remember fishing with John Freeman at Ali Spit when a large (mid teen maybe?) chum took the fly and started heading back for Hoypus Pt. I kept adding pressure and the fish kept swimming north. The line went out through the guides, then the backing went with the line, and I seemed to realize I could not add any more pressure to the 7 wt. rod. It did not take long for a separation to happen. It was at the connection of the fly line and the backing.
My suggestion is to make sure the connection of the fly line and backing is secure and will withstand a Chum Salmon heading north (maybe) back to Deception Pass thinking "maybe this spawning idea is a sham"!
I've often wondered, with the tides, the Pass on the West and the River to the east, where did that fly line end up? Danny