Author Topic: TePee Creek  (Read 127 times)

admin

• Administrator
TePee Creek
« Opened on July 21, 2017, 04:48:48 PM (Edited November 11, 2017, 11:16:13 AM) »
Tepee Creek
Coordinator: Steven Foster 
Date TBD Early to Mid July

{alt}

Tepee Creek is a small stream that flows into the North Fork of the Coeur d’Alene River. It is about 450 miles from Anacortes and 50 miles north of Kingston which is just east of Coeur d’Alene on Highway 90.
Tepee Creek is a great place to learn to fish small streams yet be able to fish for cutthroat that can get to 20 inches. It is all wade fishing and the Cutts like the pools and ripples. It is remote as the last 30 miles are gravel road so it does not get the heavy use of some more popular streams. I went three years ago while I was still learning to fly fish and had a great time learning to catch the Cutts. It is  remote camping and with some good camping along the creek and there are campgrounds closer to Kingston if you want. I will be taking my motor home. I plan to go Early to Mid July after the snow run-off. If you think you might be interested, please let me know.

Tepee Creek is primarily a cutthroat fishery, although mountain whitefish may make an appearance, especially if beadhead nymph patterns are fished close to the bottom in deep, slow-moving runs and pools.
Barbless hooks are required on Tepee Creek and all cutthroat must be released immediately.

Depending on water levels, fishing can be good in late May and early June. The water this time of year is usually turbid, so something flashy is in order. Try white or yellow streamers, and all-purpose nymphs with a brass bead or white head.
But at its heart, Tepee Creek is a classic dry-fly stream. Fourteen- to 15-inch fish, plump with bellies full of bugs, are easily taken on just about any dry fly that touches the surface. Fish are fond of the seams and frequently strike flies sweeping cross current. These are robust fish that run hard and are hesitant to give up
the fight.

A good article to read is https://northwest-fly-fishing.myshopify.com/blogs/features/16368852-tepee-creek-id

All about MAGEE RANGERS CABIN, ID

Refer to this map  to explore the back roads and area.

North Fork CDA river above Prichard River Flows

Orvis

From I-90, take Exit #43 (Kingston) and drive 24 miles north on Forest Highway 9 (two lane paved highway) to the Prichard Junction. Continue on Forest Road 208 for 28 miles to the end of the pavement and the start of Forest Road 6310 (a gravel road with rocks and potholes). Travel 4 miles on road 6310 to the confluence of the NF CDA river, the Independence  and the Tepee creeks. The approximate travel time from Coeur d'Alene on this route is 2 hours.

Camping is available at Big Hank campground on a first come basis.  Big Hank is in a heavily wooded area on the banks of the Couer D' Alene River and Big Hank Creek. At 2,800 feet elevation, the campground sits on the Big Hank Meadow.

More information on Big Hank campground is here:
https://www.recreation.gov/camping/big-hank/r/campgroundDetails.do?contractCode=NRSO&parkId=74116

Before leaving on this outing, be sure to check the Idaho regulations and river conditions.