Author Topic: Methow River Outing  (Read 91 times)

admin

• Administrator
Methow River Outing
« Opened on July 21, 2017, 04:46:55 PM (Edited October 18, 2017, 03:43:15 PM) »
Methow River Outing 
Date: TBDth
Coordinator Mark Nilson

Steelhead trickle into the Methow in early fall, but summertime is time for catching and releasing trout. The river has a strong population of wild rainbows and westslope cutthroat. More than a decade of catch-and-release management has resulted in bigger fish, and more of them. Average fish are 10 to 14 inches with specimens of both varieties stretching toward – and perhaps beyond – 20 inches. By definition of the law, any rainbow of 20 inches or longer in the Methow is considered a steelhead.

-Date of event  TBDth, dependisent on water levels and weather.
-We will meet early in the morning in/near Sedro-Woolley.
-We will probably stop at the Mazama store for coffee, etc.
-You will need some kind of pontoon boat/water craft as we will float several miles.
-We will be fishing in the Twisp-Carlton area.

-For those staying more than one day, we will put in or take out on private property which is available  for use only on the first day.

-A couple weeks before the trip I will send out a list of a few flies you will want in your box.

-I have an extra pontoon boat if someone wants to borrow it.

-We will be on the river from approximately 10 to 3 or 4. I will probably head back that afternoon, but  some may want to stay longer at a camp ground, etc.

-Bring water and a few snacks. I tend to fish, not eat.

General information will be provided at upcoming General Meetings, The Wahoo, and by an informal survey. Just let Mark know if you are interested.

More information will be posted here later.